VA Cash-Out Refinance
- Quick Facts
- Pros & Cons
- Occupancy & Property Type
- Income & Purchase Price Limits
- Key Features & Conditions
- Other Limitations
- Mortgage Insurance & Fees
- Similar Loan Programs
- Related Resources
The VA Cash-Out Refinance Program allows active-duty, retired military, national guard, reservists, and eligible surviving spouse to cash-out up to 100% of the appraised value of their existing home (some lenders may only loan up to 90% of value). The many benefits of the VA program include 100% financing, competitive interest rates, limited fees at closing, and no private mortgage insurance (PMI).
Do you match this loan?
Our loanSMART system will tell you if this loan program is a good fit your scenario.
VA Cash-Out Refinance
Min. Credit Score
Max Loan Amount
Qualification variables shown here are for 1-Unit Primary Residences, and loan amount ranges vary based on US County. Register Now to see if this loan program is a good fit for you, find your county limits, and find more options for purchasing a home.
Pros & Cons
- Can cash-out up to 100% of the appraised value
- Typically offers lower interest rates than other mortgage programs
- No private mortgage insurance (PMI)
- No income limits
- A funding fee which ranges between 1.40% - 3.60% of the loan amount (some exceptions apply)
- Unlike a streamline VA refinance (See IRRRL), a new appraisal is generally required
A cash-out refinance allows you to access equity in your home and use the proceeds as you see fit. By registering for a free account, you can get a better idea of how much cash you could access when refinancing your home.
VA Cash-Out Refinances are available in all 50 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Talk to an Expert
An RMM PROLender can help you see if this or a different loan program is the right fit for your unique situation. Get Started.
“Looking to access your home equity up to 100% of the appraised value of your home?"
Occupancy & Property Types
Qualification factors for this program can vary based on how you intend to occupy the property and what type of property you are purchasing. By registering for a free account , you can check program limits for all property and occupancy types.
Available Property Types for Primary Residence
Income & Purchase Price Limits
Your Debt-to-Income Ratio (DTI), as well as purchase price and income limits, are important factors when qualifying for a home loan program. By registering for a free account , you can find the exact program limits for this program and others in your area and for your unique scenario.
Purchase Price Limit
Qualification variables shown here are for 1-Unit Primary Residences, and loan limit ranges vary based on US County. Amounts may be rounded. Exact amounts can be accessed by registering for a free account.
Answer a few short questions and we'll build you a custom list of home loan program options. You're homeownership journey is in good hands.
- You can cash-out up to 100% of the value of your existing home
- Unlike most other programs, the VA Loan does not have mortgage insurance
- Must be eligible for VA home loan benefits. Subsequent use of benefits may result in a higher funding fee.
- Also known as the VA Type 2 Cash-Out Refinance (a refinance in which the loan amount exceeds the payoff amount of the loan being refinanced).
In some circumstances, there are specific requirements you must meet or homebuyer education courses you must attend in order to be eligible for the loan program.
No other program limitations
A Homebuyer Education Class is not required for this loan program.
Mortgage Insurance & Fees
Most mortgage programs require mortgage insurance when you are financing more than 80% of the purchase price or appraised value. Some programs may also have an associated funding fee, paid at the time of closing, or an annual fee. Learn all about the different fees here.
No Mortgage Insurance
This program does not require Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI).
Type: VA Funding Fee
The VA Funding Fee, which ranges between 1.25% - 3.3% of the loan amount, is charged on all VA loans unless the veteran has been entitled 10% or greater in disability.
Type: No Annual Fee
This program does not have an annual fee.
Estimated Closing Costs: 2.5%
These amounts are just an estimate. Your closing costs include things like loan origination fees, discount points, appraisal fees, title insurance, taxes, deed recording fees, and other charges.
Similar Loan Programs
If you think this home loan program may be a good fit for you, you may also want to check out the following programs that share many similarities with the current program.
VA High-Balance Cash-Out Refinance
Best For: Large Loan Amounts, Cash-Out
The VA jumbo cash-out refinance allows for loans above the standard conforming limit and for up to 100% of the appraised value of the home.
A Rundown On Closing Costs and How They Affect You
It can be tricky to sift through all the figures , so we broke down what they are, how much they cost, who's responsible and how to minimize your expenses.Read More
Visit our Mortgage Education Center for more resources.
* Some loan programs may not be offered by all featured lenders of ReviewMyMortgage.com and qualification guidelines may vary between them. Our team makes their best effort to keep loan program information up to date. Loan programs may change without warning. ReviewMyMortgage.com does not guarantee or offer any loan products. ReviewMyMortgage.com is strictly an educational resource hub for consumers
ReviewMyMortgage.com is in no way affiliated with the companies or institutions listed here.
Start Your Journey
Whether your are buying a new home, or refinancing your current home loan, let the experts at Review My Mortgage guide you on your homeownership journey.
Are you a mortgage professional?
Learn about our unique sponsorships, including RMM PROLender, that can take your production to the next level.Get in Touch