By RMM Team
Texas Home Buyer Education Classes
Purchasing your first home is a big milestone and the process can seem overwhelming. Before you begin looking for a home, it is a good idea to complete a homebuyer education course.
If you’re hoping to take advantage of any first-time homebuyer down payment
and closing cost assistance programs available to Texans, the completion of an approved first-time homebuyer course is typically required before closing on your mortgage loan. Use LoanSMART to find out if Down Payment Assistance funds are waiting for you. Programs education will make homeownership much more achievable for future home owners.
First-time homebuyer education courses usually cost between $35-$99 and many are available in online formats, so you can complete one from the comfort and safety of your own home. Here are several online homebuyer education options available to prospective homebuyers across Texas:
There are several online programs available to residents across the state of Texas that meet the guidelines for most or all first-time homebuyer assistance programs. Here are a few online Texas-wide courses to consider:
- Framework Online Homebuyer Course: An online course certified by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that discusses all aspects of the home-buying process, including securing a mortgage, working with a real estate agent, placing an offer, and closing on a home. This course is acceptable for most local and national mortgage loans and assistance programs. Cost: $75
- eHome America Online Homebuyer Course: A HUD-certified online course that discusses money management and the home-buying process, with optional follow-up home counseling services. Cost: $99
- Clear Point Credit Counseling Solutions Homebuyer Counseling and Education: An eight-hour, HUD-approved online homebuyer education course with optional counseling that can help prepare you for the mortgage process and home search. Cost: $35
- Texas Homebuyer U: A two-hour online course that covers preparing, financing, and purchasing a home in Texas. This course will qualify you for first-time homebuyer programs through the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.
City-Specific Online First-Time Homebuyer Education Programs
In addition to state-wide first-time homebuyer education courses, there are several options available in a few major cities across Texas. Most local homebuyer education programs also offer in-person courses, although many residents have opted for a virtual option during the pandemic. Here are some city-specific online education programs to consider:
- Avenue Community Development Corporation HUD-Certified First-Time Homebuyer’s Classes: An eight-hour virtual or online course in which you will review your finances, learn about the home-buying process, and receive an optional follow-up counseling session. The virtual option is held over Zoom with a live instructor on Saturdays from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: $50 per household
- Fifth Ward Community Redevelopment Corporation Online Homebuyer Classes: A selection of eight-hour online and virtual sessions in which you will learn about the home-buying process and available assistance programs. The course is divided into two segments held on two separate days.
- Neighborhood Housing Services of San Antonio First-Time Homebuyers Class: NHS offers an in-person, eight-hour, HUD-certified course split into two evenings that will help prepare you for buying a home. They also offer an online option that discusses whether homeownership is right for you and walks you through the process of searching for, buying, and maintaining your home. Cost: $99
- Dallas Habitat For Humanity Online Homebuyer Education Course: An online, 8-hour, HUD-certified homebuyer education course offered by Dallas Habitat in partnership with eHome America. The course will cover the home-buying process and satisfies most down payment assistance program requirements. Cost: $99
- Business & Community Lenders of Texas Homebuyer Education Course: An online course that helps prospective homebuyers figure out if homeownership is right for them and learn how to shop for and maintain a home. The program also offers counseling with a homeownership advisor. Cost: $99
Use our LoanSmart tool to discover more Texas-Wide Online Homebuyer Grant & Bond Programs.
Share this article
Start Your Journey
Whether your are buying a new home, or refinancing your current home loan, let the experts at Review My Mortgage guide you on your homeownership journey.
Are you a mortgage professional?
Learn about our unique sponsorships, including RMM PROLender, that can take your production to the next level.Get in Touch